Most people know that cats are safest when kept indoors. If your cat enjoys going outdoors (some cats love it, some cats loathe it!) it’s best with the safety of a harness and leash. Problem with the indoor -only lifestyle? Most cats are overweight, and get little or no exercise. Here are some good indoor activities to get your couch-potato cat to move a little.
- Kitty condos can offer an opportunity to climb – great exercise for the back legs!
- Provide a scratching post or pad.
- Two words – laser pointer. Cats that are hunters can wear themselves out chasing these!
- Does your cat love paper or boxes? Leave a paper bag or box out so she can play.
- Teaching your cat to “fetch” a toy or interact with a feathery toy on a string can be fun for you both.
- Get your cat a food puzzle. Toys (ie – Kong brand) require your cat to work to remove treats inside.
- Consider adopting a playmate if your cat isn’t geriatric. A kitten can be fun for EVERYONE on the household.